Persepolis

Week nine: a wide world of comics

Persepolis

by Marjane Satrapi


For this week's reading, which focused primarily on European works, I was able to find Marjane Satrapi's graphic novel, Persepolis, online and available for viewing. From what I read of this graphic novel, I was surprised by how much I found myself enjoying it. It is an autobiographical story of the author's childhood in Iran during the Islamic Revolution. Before reading this, I was not very familiar with the events and intense situations of the time (the 1980's). After I was drawn in by the uniquely simplified and appealing art style, I remained captivated by the real history and the childhood perspective from which the events were explained. Although serious, this viewpoint allowed for a less grim outlook than what may be expected based only on the subject matter. Marjane was very religious as a young child. The novel continuously depicts her daily "big discussion with God." These conversations work well to tell her story in an even more personal way. They act almost as a soliliquy for the protagonist, showing her thoughts while also playfully emphasizing her faith. She was enlightened in her beliefs as well as in her cultural intelligence regarding the revolution. Although innocent and young, she was determined to bring peace and justice into the violent and politically chaotic climate of the time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Asterios Polyp

Maus